Lill's Quilt Rack: Part XII, Finishing

With the shaping finally 100% complete it was time to finish the sanding. As I had done earlier I used the RO 90 to sand from 80 to 120 to 180 grits. Again, the interface pad and slow speeds help and allow the sander to handle the curves and create a flowing, smooth finish.

Assembled and ready for final sanding.

Unfortunately, while doing the final shaping and sanding on the narrow end of one of the Tiger Maple legs, I found a hole in the wood. I suspect this was from some sort of pre-kiln insect infestation, tough I didn’t find any trails or tubes leading to the hole. Because it was after final glue up that I discovered this flaw in the wood, I had to live with it. Once the final shaping and sanding was done, I filled the hole with epoxy and sanding that flush once it had cured. While slightly visible, it’s now solid and strong.

I didn't find this hole until the post assembly sanding.

With the repair of the hole, construction was finished. The quilt rack was constructed. The only thing left to do was to apply finish.

Finishing was a simple, rag applied process, allowing at least 24 hours between coats.

First I blew off the rack and wiped it down with a tack cloth. Then I put on a coat of ½ lb cut shellac as a sealer.

The beautiful grain of the shelf wet with shellac.

The dried shellac was hand sanded with a 320 grit sanding sponge and then wiped down with a tack cloth. Then I applied the first coat of Arm-R-Seal.

On drying, I hand sanded off the drip marks with a  220 grit sanding sponge and then sanded the entire quilt rack with a 320 sponge. Then the tack cloth and the second coat of Arm-R-Seal.

Between the second and third coats I again sanded by hand with the 320 grit sponge and followed up with a tack cloth. Then the third coat of Arm-R-Seal.

Once the third coat dried I used 00 synthetic steel wool over the entire piece and again wiped it down with the tack cloth. Then I applied the fourth and final coat of Arm-R-Seal.

The 4th coat of Arm-R-Seal dries.

When the final coat has cured, I used 0000 synthetic steel wool to buff out the entire piece and though it wasn’t necessary, I then applied a coat of Howard Feed n’ Wax which I buffed off with a rag after 20 minutes.

The finished quilt rack.
The finished quilt rack with quilts.

With that, Lill’s Quilt Rack was done. After a wee 77 hours over two months I’d taken one (1) large Walnut board and a few small Tiger Maple boards and transformed them into the piece I’m most proud of. It was a wonderful learning process and time well spent.

My son takes Aunt Lill over to the quilt rack to show off his Dad's work.

At Lill’s 90th birthday party I presented the quilt rack to the lifelong quilter.

You can see all of the posts about Lill's Quilt Rack here.

Or, click here the photos.
Lill's Quilt Rack

Don't forget about the +Modern Woodworkers Association Podcast. We talk woodworking with Guests from around the world of woodworking every other week. Subscribe to the RSS feed or iTunes today.