Lill's Quilt Rack: Part V, The Needed Shelf

Once I had routed all six legs even with the templates I turned to the shelf.

The leg blanks for the left side.

The shelf was made from the same tiger maple stock as the front legs. I milled four (4) pieces S4S and laid then out in different arrangements until I was happy with the pattern made by the grain. I then glued them up as a typical panel glue up.

After glue up the next step was to cut the shelf to size. I made it 24" x 24". As long as you're close the exact size doesn't matter. The cross bars will be relative dimensioned off of the shelf later. The exact size is not critical.

It's a very straightforward panel glue up.

The cuts were made with a track saw and my lovely 26" Woodpeckers try square. I tried to take equal amounts off each side in order to keep the panel seems symmetrical. After cutting to size I set the cutoffs aside, as they will come in handy later.

A big square is big handy.

With the shelf finished, I set it aside on stickers to allow air movement around it. This proved more important that I would have thought as accidentally leaving it directly on my table saw one night resulted in cupping. Luckily once I re-stickered it the sides reached equilibrium again and it flattened out.


Now that my legs and shelf were ready, it was time to begin laying out the joints.

Don't forget about the +Modern Woodworkers Association Podcast. We talk woodworking with Guests from around the world of woodworking every other week. Subscribe to the RSS feed or iTunes today.