The Greenwich Frame, Part IV: Completion & Presentation

Because I was responsible for the entire completed frame, finishing the construction & finishing still meant I had glass, matting & hanging hardware to obtain and install.
The finished frame, ready to be accessorized.
I began with the matting and went to our local Michael's on December 15th. They told me that having them custom cut the matting (as I have always done) would take ten days. Since I had to give the frame as a gift on Christmas Eve I found myself instead buying a piece of matting off the shelf in a similar color. The layout was rather straightforward (I had already figured it out, thinking I was supplying it to Michael's). Trimming the outside of the matting also proved easy, using my 8" shears (every shop should have a giant pair of scissors). What I was really afraid of was cutting out the center of the matting, as I had never before attempted it. Thankfully, it proved easy. I cut the matting using a straight edge clamped over it and a sharp X-acto knife. I started from the corners and worked in, wanting to ensure that I didn't over-cut any of the edges. After a few gentle passes, each side was cut. Three quick reallignments and the matting was cut. I kept the knife plumb in order to make a cut perpendicular to the face of the matting. While I prefer matting that has been cut at a bevel to reveal a narrow white band around the picture, I didn't think I could keep the inside corners clean or the bevel consistent with an X-acto knife. The simple square cut kept it neat.
Apparently, I can cut matting.
For the glass, I did what I always do when I make a frame; I went down to the local hardware store and ordered a piece of 1/8" plate glass, cut to fit.

Assembly consisted of washing & installing the plate glass followed by the matting (with the picture taped to the back) and then a simple piece of peg board. I used window glazing points to hold the whole assembly in. I then attached a wire to hang the frame with  using #6 x 3/4" pan head screws.
The back of the completed frame.
The last thing I did was install 4 clear plastic self-adhesive feet to the frame. I've never done that to a frame before, but I don't like it when the top edge of the frame sticks off the wall due to the hanging hardware. I figured that the clear feet would hold the frame evenly off the wall.

The completed, assembled frame.
Hopefully the feet idea will work, and the whole frame will look good in its new home. I gave the frame to my Dad for Christmas and its now hanging at its new home in Greenwich. I haven't been up to see it yet, but I'll certainly let everyone know what it looks like in place.




The whole Greenwich Frame Saga:
The Greenwich Frame, Part I: Design
The Greenwich Frame, Part II: Fabrication Begins
The Greenwich Frame, Part III: Plugging Away
Dyami PlotkeFrames